Protecting yourself from Fraud
HomeExchange.com offers a very safe, unique and inexpensive way to see the world, in your home away from home. However, we want to warn you about possible scams that could occur if you are asked for a deposit, so you can avoid becoming a victim. Under our community rules, it's forbidden to ask for a deposit before an exchange. If a Member asks for a deposit, please contact us immediately. We'll tell the Member it's forbidden.
In the case of vacation rentals only, a deposit can be asked, but please follow these rules:
- While making a deposit of any kind, use a credit card, check or bank transfer. We suggest you never pay with cash or instant money transfer services such as MoneyGram or Western Union. These payment methods are most often used by scammers, and are impossible to trace, so please avoid using these services.
- Before sending payment using one of these methods you should call the owner of the property you are dealing with, and ask for references of others who have stayed in their home.
- If the member won’t give you a working phone number, or anything else raises a red flag, please contact us for assistance before you pay.
- Credit cards offer additional charge-back protection should there be any issues with your deposit.
- It is important to ask for references from members of others who have stayed in their home, should you not feel comfortable with how your exchange arrangements are progressing. And ultimately, if you don’t feel that your exchange partner is right for you as you try to arrange an exchange; you can always select one of our other members to contact.
- Most traditional travel insurance products do not cover incidences of fraud, so double check with your insurance provider to ensure coverage.
Fraud is uncommon on HomeExchange sites, but we want everyone who uses our site to know how they can further protect their safety. Please remember these suggestions when booking your next vacation through any of our family of sites, or wherever you choose to book your next holiday!